Since its inception in 2001, the Nanakshahi Trust has made great strides.
Nanakshahi, a not-for-profit NGO in its fifth year of relentless service to
the community, has been working with a focus "To develop the Sikh aesthetics
and to assist the destitute and downtrodden". Starting as a single
workstation with a sole employee, we have grown into a full staff working
with organizations from across the country.
With a demonstrably good amount of accomplishments to the credit, we find it
well placed to review our achievement till date and place it before the
masses for their appraisal, at this juncture.
Since the commencement of project "Virsa", we have acquired digital cameras
ranging from three to eight mega pixels, a wide range of scanners for high
resolution imaging in addition to subsidiary supporting equipment like
laptops, digital video cameras, audio recorders and studio lighting system.
And of course not to forget the irreplaceable human (resource) factor; our
deserving, highly skilled, well trained and continually learning volunteers.
In the very near future we wish to acquire digital cameras of twelve to
sixteen mega pixels or above. We are also exploring a rage of scanners for
high resolution scanning of wide format source material that can not be
digitized with now available cameras or regular scanners. Such scanners are
in the range of twenty lakh rupees and above. Cameras to be acquired as
mentioned, cost above twelve lakh rupees. Besides that we are in the process
of procuring more sophisticated lighting system. Storage facility for all
the digitized data is very essential, as that is the end product that all
the expensive and high tec equipment will produce.
With accompaniment of the above mentioned tools, we envision a digital
resource center, where people digitize their material through professional
help from our site experts with complete ease and efficiency, without any
fee or charge. With this the organization seeks to promote a culture of
awareness, where the masses contribute in safeguarding of old texts.
With an intention to provide, both preservation and access, Nanakshahi
aspires to create a comprehensive Digital Sikh Reference Library, with
source material from possibly all dimensions of life, whether literature,
art, folk, tradition or culture. People will benefit from such a collection
with all the advantages of a conventional library besides additional
features of a digital one.
Some of the benefits of a digital library are:
- Reference material lying in different Universities, Colleges,
libraries, villages, private collections, Government Archives and
elsewhere comes at one place in digital format which otherwise is
- Criteria based quick searching and browsing through incredibly large
amount of data for relevant information within minutes or possibly
seconds, which otherwise is beyond human capacity, thus enhancing the
scope of research and education by manifolds.
- Benefits of searchable data especially in the context of books and
newspapers are indisputably enormous and indescribable.
- It also opens a plethora of opportunities and possibilities for inter
cultural, racial, ethnic and religious interactions.
- Sharing of resources among libraries enables utilization of single
resource at the same time by many users at different and often far off
ends, in different ordering and arrangement at their will.
- Hard copy reproduction through printing allowing study without damage
- Access to the library through internet while sitting at home.
- Assuming that every household will possibly have a computer in next
ten years, a Digital Sikh Reference Library holds great promises. But,
without reliable data and for that matter any data on Sikh or Panjab
history, computers will be useless for our growth.
Under the project we aim to digitize manuscripts, books and other archives
maintained by: the SGPC, Guru Nanak Dev University, Khalsa College
Amritsar, Panjabi University, Language Department and Patiala Archives,
and erstwhile princely states of Nabha, Patiala, Faridkot, Kapurthala etc.
Private collections are also being sought. The purpose of the project is
to immortalize manuscripts, books, rare historical documents, newspapers,
research papers, articles, journals and magazines, old printed posters,
maps, photographs, chronicles, memoirs and diaries, historical letters and
relevant personal correspondence, audio tapes, video tapes, and
documentaries, architectural drawings, contemporary documents etc.
If we work to our capacity we can digitize about 70,000 folios in a month
which also includes examination, editing, data management, indexing and
metadata creation, we aim to digitize about five lakh in next one year,
and about two million in next five.
But, as you are aware, efforts such as this require a large amount of
human and monetary resources to sustain. Isolated attempts do not prove
effective, especially the ones made for a common cause, which from its
very nature require public involvement. Nanakshahi seeks long term sincere
commitments to this, which cannot be accomplished without the direct help
of the public. After extensive research and contemplation, Nanakshahi
brings you an important privilege and opportunity to be part of a unique
In realizing the vision of the organization, we offer conditional long
term memberships. All Nanakshahi projects are not-for-profit endeavors,
with an educational and cultural mission. As a member, you too can take
advantage of years of combined expertise and action and help serve the
community. We welcome your interest in joining Nanakshahi.
This comprehensive new scheme provides you with a host of benefits that
can be tailored to meet your specific needs and help better the community
at the same time. We have a dedicated group of workers to understand your
perspective and ensure that your views and resources are given attention
and put to best use.
MEMBERSHIP BENEFITS AND SERVICES
Prospective Nanakshahi members are a cross-section of individuals, groups,
both corporate and non-profit institutions. General benefits of our
membership include the following:
NETWORKING AND LEARNING EVENTS
- Networking with experts and Nanakshahi staff for the latest strategic
and technical information in the field of digitization and digital
libraries. An opportunity to learn and build upon our experience, which
would otherwise require time and learning through failure if you intend to
initiate one on your own, besides scores of papers and reports on topics
directly relevant to the creation and maintenance of a digital collection.
- Working on common interests with colleagues across the world-and across
sectors, as our purpose is to include a diverse group of libraries,
archives, and museums.
DISCOUNT ON PRODUCTS, PUBLICATIONS AND SERVICES
- Fifty percent concession on all Nanakshahi products and publications.
- Access to our entire range of Archives on our Digital Library
- This ever growing Digital Library now has over 5,00,000 folios
- over 250 rare books dating back to 18th and 19th century
- over 150 unabridged e-books from renowned contemporary authors.
- over 500 manuscripts in various scripts digitized in the Panjab region
and vicinity, dating back to 17th, 18th and 19th century
- various old journals and magazines
- issues of old newspapers
- research papers
- over 2000 photographs of important events in Panjab's history
- chronicles, memoirs and diaries
- historical letters and relevant personal correspondence
- audio tapes, video tapes, and documentaries
- historical and contemporary (news) articles
- important historical documents
- all available coins from Sikh Raj
- contemporary oral history recordings
- documents from contemporary affairs of history
- Special gifts on different occasions, specifically and exclusively
designed and made for our members to own, which can not be bought or
obtained at a retail end.
USE OF NANAKSHAHI INFRASTRUCTURE
- Access to the Digital Resource Centre at our head office, where members
can come and use our infrastructure. (Permission from the operations
Director must be obtained.)
- Besides this they may now access, a collection of unabridged books on a
variety of Sikh and non-Sikh topics, at our library study desks besides
the vast collection of manuscripts in different languages.
- Monthly updates shall be sent to all the members.
Full details on our membership can be found in Membership Policy document.
We trust you will find them exciting and look forward to welcoming your
company as a new member "Onboard". If you would like to join Nanakshahi,
please fill out our Membership form. We look forward to hearing from you.
Davinder Pal Singh
The Nanakshahi Trust, 867, Sector 64, Sahibzada Ajit Singh Nagar, Panjab
Tel: +91 (0) 172 2234867; email@example.com; www.nanakshahi.org